Boys Basketball: Team loses close game, players keep heads high

The boys hosted Whitman on Feb. 10 looking for a win. They had a hard time to trying to stop Whitman from scoring, allowing 35 points in the first half. On offense, the boys struggled score only scoring 19 points in the second half.
Then the Patriots played Gaithersburg at home on Feb. 14. The team played was playing well during the first half and was winning by a point at the half. The team then lost their rhythm and let in 41 points in the second half. Senior forwards Kwame Frimpong and Will Quam had a combined score of 38 points but it was not enough to win the game. The team lost 75-66.
The team played Sherwood for their last game of the regular season on Feb. 17, looking to end a two-game losing streak and to end the regular season on a good note. Quam had another dominant game scoring 31 points while junior guard Ryan Warshaw had 17 points. The high scoring game came down the fourth quarter and the boys were not able to finish the game strong, losing 90-76. “It never feels good losing three games in a row and losing the last game of the regular season,” Warshaw said
For the team’s first playoff game, the boys traveled to play against Clarksburg on Feb. 24. Down at the half, the boys thought their season was over. But after only allowing 16 points in the second and the third quarter, the boys started to play better. The boys came back to force the game to overtime. The team scored 10 points while only allowing five points. The team won their first playoff game 63-58. “The game was intense we did what we needed to for us to win,” junior guard Mason Romm said.
The Patriots traveled to play against Kennedy on Feb. 28, looking to get their second playoff win and have their season continue. Quam and Frimpong had great games but were not enough to get the win. The boys lost 62-53, ending their season in heartbreaking fashion, despite exceeding their own expectations.

Eric Lee

Staff Writer